Reports to: Program Director, NeighborhoodStat (NSTAT)
Classification: Full-Time / Exempt
Living Redemption Community Development Corporation (LRCDC) is an independent Harlem-based nonprofit, dba Living Redemption Youth Opportunity Hub (LRYOH), founded in 2019 to catalyze Central and West Harlem’s homegrown “Credible Messengers,” who are part of the larger Credible Messenger and Transformative Mentoring Movement. With a mission to Save Lives and Heal Communities One Relationship at a Time, LRCDC offers restorative transformation for Central and West Harlem’s most vulnerable populations by providing intensive Credible Messenger-led mentoring, community outreach, and a holistic model of programs and services, including wraparound support and advocacy.
Living Redemption Community Development Corporation is seeking a full-time Credible Messenger/Outreach Specialist for St. Nicholas Houses to support a resident-driven, community organizing initiative in partnership with the Mayor’s Action Plan for Neighborhood Safety (MAP). Underway since 2015, MAP is a comprehensive strategy to enhance public safety and strengthen community well-being in 15 public housing developments across New York City. The initiative aims to enhance safety and overall quality of life by strengthening collaboration and capacity among public housing residents. Since 2016, citywide meetings have been convened to share information and data, facilitate community engagement to identify neighborhood priorities, enhance the quality of life, and spur collaboration and accountability among city agencies and local stakeholders.
Living Redemption Community Development Corporation serves as an implementation partner for NeighborhoodStat. NeighborhoodStat (NStat), the operational centerpiece of MAP, is a community-based, problem-solving process grounded in the belief that public safety cannot exist without the public. It is an acknowledgment that safe and thriving neighborhoods require resident leadership, community and government support, and resources to produce sustainable change. To that end, NeighborhoodStat employs a series of local meetings that engage residents and MAP partners in sharing, analyzing, and using data to identify public safety priorities and implementation of solutions. These meetings, the information they generate, and the actions that follow are an important part of MAP’s strategy to enhance accountability by providing local residents and stakeholders with considerable resources and access to key decision-makers.
Living Redemption Community Development Corporation is seeking a full-time Credible Messenger/Outreach Specialist from the St. Nicholas House’s community who will support residents. The Credible Messenger/Outreach Specialist is primarily responsible for conducting initial outreach in the community in multiple ways, including in-person. The Credible Messenger/Outreach Specialist is the first and primary point of contact for potential community referral partners.
The Credible Messenger/Outreach Specialist is expected to:
- Identify and recruit community members and form relationships with the developments diverse subgroups, including religious affiliations, ethnic identities, cultures, languages, age groups, and histories of community organizing and civic engagement.
- Educate and support St. Nicholas Houses Community members on issues of public safety, their intersection with community gun violence, and strategies for promoting healthy relationships through training, information sharing, and collaboration.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships; networking and advocacy with public and private local stakeholders that provide services to community residents.
- Conduct regular community outreach and participate in community events to promote program offerings.
- Organize and facilitate community events focused on healthy relationships and community healing.
- Use data to inform resident-led strategies that promote community safety.
- Provide community-based crisis intervention and individual engagement to facilitate the removal of barriers to resources for identified individuals and families.
- Attend and participate in all mandatory staff meetings, trainings, workshops and other team meetings as required, which may include non-traditional business hours.
- Submit regular weekly/monthly reports to MAP Program Director to capture pertinent program data.
- Additional relevant tasks, as necessary.
- The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree or a minimum of 3 years experience in a position directly related to public safety, as well as experience in community organizing, community engagement and group facilitation.
- This exciting opportunity requires a flexible schedule with regular evening and weekend hours.
- Candidates must be comfortable navigating interdisciplinary settings and must be willing to roll up their sleeves and be actively involved in day-to-day operations.
- Experience with transformative justice frameworks, individual counseling, and community- based violence prevention preferred.
- Ideal candidates will be passionate, skilled, and experienced in working with the St. Nicholas NYCHA community to promote healing and safety.
OTHER REQUIRED SKILLS
- Strong interpersonal skills, facilitation skills, and the ability to connect with people with diverse and intersecting identities.
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite: Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks effectively in a fast-paced, challenging and constantly changing environment.
- Ability to organize and maintain detailed program records, complete necessary reports and meet prescribed deadlines.
- All staff are expected to be committed to the mission, vision, and values of Living Redemption Community Development Corporation, which includes involvement in quality improvement activities and a willingness and ability to work within a culturally diverse environment.
- Living Redemption is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act. We encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
- Any offer of employment is contingent upon receiving satisfactory references and approval of hire by applicable regulatory bodies, as appropriate.
- Falsification or omission of relevant information in connection with any application for employment is grounds for denial or dismissal.
Hours: M–F, 10:00 am – 6:00 pm (some weekends)
Compensation: Competitive salary commensurate with experience
Location: St. Nicholas Houses
Application Process: Please complete the Job Application Form on the Living Redemption website at: https://livingredemption.org/careers-at-lrcdc/
Please include the following in application submissions:
- Cover Letter explaining salary requirements and interest in this specific position
- Current Resume
- Writing Sample that reflects your community organizing style and framework
Note: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete an employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
Closing Date: Open until filled; to be filled as soon as possible.