Reports to: Project Coordinator
Classification: Part Time
Living Redemption Community Development Corporation (LRCDC) is an independent Harlem-based nonprofit, dba Living Redemption Youth Opportunity Hub (LRYOH), founded in 2019 to catalyze Central and West Harlem’s homegrown “Credible Messengers,” who are part of the larger Credible Messenger and Transformative Mentoring Movement. With a mission to Save Lives and Heal Communities One Relationship at a Time, LRCDC offers restorative transformation for Central and West Harlem’s most vulnerable populations by providing intensive Credible Messenger-led mentoring, community outreach, and a holistic model of programs and services, including wraparound support and advocacy.
Living Redemption Community Development Corporation is seeking 3 Part-Time Next STEPS Credible Messengers for our Next STEPS Transformative Mentoring Intervention program for young adults that reside in NYCHA’s St. Nicholas Houses. Next STEPS is an initiative of the Mayor’s Action Plan for Neighborhood Safety (MAP for Neighborhood Safety) that offers one-on-one and group mentoring within a cognitive behavioral therapy-based curriculum designed to help young adults make the attitude and behavioral changes necessary to avoid criminal activity and re-engage with education, work and community.
Mentors will be engaging participants through groups and one-on-one mentoring using the Interactive Journaling (IJ) curriculum. Through these interactions, and through the use of Interactive Journaling, mentors will develop meaningful and supportive relationships, which seek to guide young adults towards positive and productive futures.
Next STEPS mentors will be expected to fulfill the following responsibilities:
- Identify and recruit youth and young adults that meet the eligibility criteria, and form. relationships within the St. Nicholas Houses from diverse subgroups, including religious affiliations, ethnic identities, cultures, languages and age groups.
- Meet with participants and implement the Interactive Journaling (IJ) curriculum at sites.
- Engage youth outside of the formal curriculum time and through one-on-one meetings.
- Attend scheduled Mentor and IJ trainings.
- Educate and support St. Nicholas youth and young adults on issues of public safety.
- Additional relevant tasks, as required and as necessary.
- This position reports to the Project Coordinator or Project Coordinator Designee as directed.
- A full year commitment, at minimum.
- Determination to demonstrate consistent care and support for youth and young adults.
- Team player who can support fellow mentors and adhere to guidance and instruction from Project Coordinator and/or Project Coordinator Designee.
- Consistency in attendance and punctuality to group meetings.
- Commitment to the local target community.
- Passion to see life transformation in participants.
- Patience and understanding that the transformative process takes time.
OTHER REQUIRED SKILLS
- Strong interpersonal skills, facilitation skills, and the ability to connect with people with diverse and intersecting identities.
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite: Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks effectively in a fast-paced, challenging and constantly changing environment.
- Ability to organize and maintain detailed program records, complete necessary reports and meet prescribed deadlines.
- All staff are expected to be committed to the mission, vision, and values of Living Redemption Community Development Corporation, which includes involvement in quality improvement activities and a willingness and ability to work within a culturally diverse environment.
- Living Redemption is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act. We encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
- Any offer of employment is contingent upon receiving satisfactory references and approval of hire by applicable regulatory bodies, as appropriate.
- Falsification or omission of relevant information in connection with any application for employment is grounds for denial or dismissal.
Position: Part Time
Hours: Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays 2:00pm to 7:00pm
Location: St. Nicholas Houses
Application Process: Please complete the Job Application Form on the Living Redemption website at: https://livingredemption.org/careers-at-lrcdc/
Please include the following in application submissions:
- Cover Letter explaining interest in this specific position
- Current Resume
Note: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete an employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
Closing Date: Open until filled; to be filled as soon as possible.