Reports to: ATLAS Program Director
Classification: Full Time/Exempt
Living Redemption Community Development Corporation (LRCDC) is an independent Harlem-based nonprofit, dba Living Redemption Youth Opportunity Hub (LRYOH), founded in 2019 to catalyze Central and West Harlem’s homegrown “Credible Messengers,” who are part of the larger Credible Messenger and Transformative Mentoring Movement. With a mission to Save Lives and Heal Communities One Relationship at a Time, LRCDC offers restorative transformation for Central and West Harlem’s most vulnerable populations by providing intensive Credible Messenger-led mentoring, community outreach, and a holistic model of programs and services, including wraparound support and advocacy.
Living Redemption Community Development Corporation is hiring staff for a community-based violence prevention program that aims to reduce violent recidivism through intensive and voluntary therapeutic services. This program is part of the Atlas initiative and uses the evidence-based Functional Family Therapy (FFT) model to engage young people and their families in holistic anti-violence services.
Atlas works to prevent violence by meeting people during a crisis, like a recent arrest or open court case, and connecting them to a change process that nurtures hope and strengthens relationships. In collaboration with Atlas, Living Redemption Community Development Corporation is offering FFT to young people at elevated risk for violence in the community, victimization, or a re-arrest. FFT is an evidence-based intervention for youth and families. This high-quality, strength-focused family counseling model is designed for high-risk youth and young adults referred by the criminal court, juvenile justice, mental health, school, or child welfare systems. Services are short-term and typically offered in the home, though services can be provided in the office or other community settings.
Living Redemption Community Development Corporation is seeking a Credible Messenger – Community Engagement Specialist for its Atlas Functional Family Therapy (FFT) team. This position reports to the LRCDC FFT Program Director. The Credible Messenger – Community Engagement Specialist is primarily responsible for conducting initial outreach in the community in multiple ways, including in person. The Credible Messenger – Community Engagement Specialist is the first and primary point of contact for potential community referral partners. The Credible Messenger – Community Engagement Specialist will also assist with connecting potential clients with voluntary therapeutic programming and resources.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- With leadership from the FFT Program Director, develop strategic partnerships with neighborhood CBOs to generate referral and resource partnerships
- Collaborate with the FFT Program Director on outreach strategies and activities with the community to build awareness of Atlas programming
- Engage and liaise with the community, including attending evening and weekend community events, conducting outreach, and supporting borough-based initiatives
- Engage with Atlas Initiative stakeholders, including model developers, and agency referral partners
- Collaborate with the FFT Program Director and FFT therapists on client engagement planning
- Assist with crisis intervention, support, and safety planning to program participants as needed
- Engage with participants’ families and other close connections; provide supportive services and referrals for participants’ families as needed
DEGREE & EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS
- High School Diploma required
- Experience with the criminal justice system as a returning citizen from a Department of Corrections or House of Corrections in any State. It cannot currently be under any form of supervision. At least one year from release or disposition, desired
- Experience working with and mentoring high-risk populations
- Understanding of pre-trial or re-entry programming and the needs of citizens who have committed or are at high risk of committing a violent felony offense
- Understanding and personal experience with the criminal justice system, substance use disorder, homelessness, unemployment, and self-motivation
- Strong ability to connect to educational, vocational, internship/apprenticeships, and employment opportunities
- Knowledge of career exploration, case management, internships, and job search strategies is a plus but not required
- Must be able to provide references, required
OTHER REQUIRED SKILLS
- Strong interpersonal skills, facilitation skills, and the ability to connect with people with diverse and intersecting identities
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite: Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to perform multiple tasks effectively in a fast-paced, challenging and constantly changing environment
- Ability to organize and maintain detailed program records, complete necessary reports and meet prescribed deadlines
- All staff are expected to be committed to the mission, vision, and values of Living Redemption Community Development Corporation, which includes involvement in quality improvement activities and a willingness and ability to work within a culturally diverse environment.
- Living Redemption is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act. We encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
- Any offer of employment is contingent upon receiving satisfactory references and approval of hire by applicable regulatory bodies, as appropriate.
- Falsification or omission of relevant information in connection with any application for employment is grounds for denial or dismissal.
Hours: 10:00am – 6:00pm or 11:00am – 7:00pm (some nights and weekends)
Work Location: Manhattan, NY
Benefit Status: This position is eligible for excellent benefits, including paid vacation and sick leave, medical and dental insurance, retirement, life and disability insurance.
Application Process: Please complete the Job Application Form on the Living Redemption website at: https://livingredemption.org/jobs/atlas-community-engagement-specialist-credible-messenger/. Please include the following in application submissions:
- Cover Letter explaining salary requirements and interest in this specific position
- Current Resume
- Writing Sample that reflects your community organizing style and framework
Closing Date: Open until filled; to be filled as soon as possible.